Seattle Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer
Distracted driving accidents are on the rise, according to news reports and government statistics. Although the number of people killed by a distracted driver has gone down slightly, the number of people injured has risen.
At Elk & Elk, our Seattle distracted driving accident attorneys help clients who have suffered an injury because of a distracted driver. We will determine the specific type of distracted driving and consult with experts to learn how the accident and resulting injuries affected a client. We use the information to build a case that seeks maximum compensation for a client’s injuries, expenses, and losses.
To learn how we can help you, call our Seattle car accident attorneys at 1-844-ELK-WEST (1-844-355-9378) or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation.
Why Choose Elk & Elk When Looking for a Seattle Law Firm
Elk & Elk is here for anyone who has fallen victim to a negligent distracted driver in the Seattle area. Our law firm understands the impacts that a serious car wreck can have on you and your family. We want to ensure that you are content with the outcome of your claim by securing the most amount of compensation available.
- The Seattle personal injury attorneys at Elk & Elk works on a contingency fee basis. We take no upfront or out-of-pocket fees until we have secured compensation for your party.
- We are committed to clear, transparent communication so that our clients are aware of every direction their case may take.
- Our law firm has decades of experience across Washington state and the USA. We know the ins and outs of legal proceedings in Seattle, including the most common mistakes that people make when filing a claim.
Why an Attorney Is a Good Fit for You, No Matter the Circumstances
A lawyer is crucial to your future as someone who has fallen victim to an irresponsible driver. While it is impossible to change the past, influencing the future to better your chances for a successful claim. Securing maximum compensation in your claims case can drastically improve your financial well-being for years to come.
- A distracted driver attorney in Seattle will investigate your claims, eventually negotiating a fair settlement between you, insurance companies, and other parties involved in the accident.
- An attorney will battle claims and lawsuits filed by opposing parties as they try to blame you for the accident.
- They will defend your rights while representing you in court, should your case require it.
Examples of Distracted Driving in Seattle
We typically think that distracted driving involves cell phone use, which often ends up being the case. Looking at the screen to see who is calling, responding to text messages, or making a call all take a driver’s eyes off the road and are common examples of distractions that cellphones can pose to drivers. However, there are other types of distractions that cause motor vehicle accidents in Washington state. These include:
- Adjusting the radio or GPS
- Eating or drinking
- Turning to speak with a child in the back seat
- Arguing with a passenger
- Reading a map
- Shaving or applying makeup
- Responding to road rage
The Dangers of Distracted Driving in Washington State
The behaviors listed above increase one’s risk of having an accident, especially one resulting in a rear-end. Other types of accidents include drifting into the next lane in the path of an oncoming vehicle, leaving the road entirely, running into the median, failing to stop at a light or stop sign, or suddenly slowing down. All can cause serious and deadly crashes.
The Impact of Distracted Driving on Seattle and Surrounding Areas
Distracted driving is a serious offense that has increasingly been plaguing the community of Seattle and others across the United States of America. Many people who take the streets choose to participate in other activities like cell phone usage or the consumption of food and beverages — activities that negatively impact their ability to operate a vehicle.
- There was a grand total of 2,861 accidents involving distracted drivers across King County alone in the year 2019.
- Over 50 of these crashes involved major injury to one of the people in the accident.
- At least 17 distracted driving accidents in King County had at least one or more deaths as a result of the crash.
Other statistics highlight some of the more specific types of crashes common in Washington state.
- Cell phone usage was the cause of at least 176 crashes in 2019.
- Across all types of potential distractions, teens caused 226 crashes in King County.
- Statewide, this figure rises to 1,113 car wrecks – 7 of which were fatal, and 93 of which caused minor or major injuries.
What to Do if Hit by a Distracted Driver in Seattle?
As previously shown, being hit by a distracted driver is a very real possibility. Knowing what to do in case you or a loved one is struck by a driver negligently operating a vehicle can be critical when ensuring the physical and financial wellbeing of an individual.
- Reach a safe location, free from the risk of being hit by another passing car
- Attend to any wounds needing immediate attention
- Call emergency services
- Collect any and all evidence you are able to at the crime scene
- Contact an Elk & Elk distracted driving accident attorney
What Are The Components of a Distracted Driving Case?
Each case has different details but shares some similarities with other cases involving distracted driving accidents.
To be successful, a distracted driving case must tell the story of how the driver was distracted and how that distraction caused the accident. Each case must identify all the injuries that resulted from the accident, including those that were apparent at the time of the accident and those that revealed themselves days or even weeks later. These and other factors in a case require us to consult with medical experts, review police reports, interpret cell phone call logs, and interview witnesses.
Only then can our attorneys create a complete picture of what happened, why it happened, and how our client was injured as a result.
Free Consultation: Learn How Our Attorneys Can Help
If you were injured or experienced the loss of a loved one in a distracted driving accident, get help today. Call Elk & Elk at 1-844-ELK-WEST (1-844-355-9378) or click here to email us to find out whether you are eligible to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. Once we take your case, you can rely on our Seattle distracted driving accident attorneys to seek maximum compensation for your injuries, damages, and expenses.