You were involved in a serious car accident in Washington, but fortunately your physical injuries were not life-threatening. However, since your accident, you have faced some debilitating mental anxiety. Every time you get in your vehicle, you get a panic attack and relive your experience over and over again. Fortunately, there are things that you can do to facilitate your recovery from severe mental anxiety resulting from your car accident.
One of the first steps in your recovery is being able to acknowledge that what you are experiencing is not normal. According to familydoctor.org, if you are experiencing symptoms like nightmares, uneasiness, irritability, disconnect or anxiety, you are probably experiencing post-traumatic stress related to your accident. In an effort to overcome these negative feelings and regain confidence while driving, here are some of the things you may consider doing:
- Do your best to maintain your routine. Make time for things that you enjoy or that you find therapeutic and healing.
- Stay in touch with your doctor to monitor your progress and receive professional advice for facilitating your recovery.
- Keep your body active, get plenty of rest and eat healthy foods that will give your body sustainable fuel.
- Consider working with a counselor or therapist who can help you acknowledge, understand and process your emotions.
- Take a course on defensive driving and learn some skills that can help you be a more confident driver in the future.
The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.