Injury prevention during your pregnancy
You have recently found out that you are expecting a baby. Your excitement is growing as you recognize the exciting changes taking place in your body. Protecting your unborn child and preventing any injury from compromising his or her wellbeing is critical throughout pregnancy. At Elk & Elk, we have helped many families in Washington to learn about the dangers of birth injuries.
Depending on your lifestyle, certain habits or hobbies that you enjoy normally could actually be reckless and even dangerous when you are pregnant. Learning about what behaviors, activities and habits are okay to continue is imperative to helping you make responsible decisions while you are carrying an unborn baby. Your doctor can help you identify which activities you should modify or suspend indefinitely until your pregnancy is complete.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some of the more obvious ways that you can prevent injuries to you and your baby during your pregnancy include the following:
- Staying up-to-date on your vaccinations and immunizations.
- Taking plenty of folic acid that helps with critical growth in your unborn baby.
- Abstaining from smoking, taking drugs or drink alcohol until your baby is born.
- Being aware of workplace hazards that could compromise the health of your unborn baby.
- Taking measures to maintain and strengthen your mental health.
By implementing these suggestions throughout your pregnancy, you can create an environment that is conducive to the growth and health of your baby. You can also protect yourself from avoidable injuries. For more information about what to do if your baby has been injured at birth, visit our web page.